Please note that several of this month’s articles present recently released guidance from federal agencies, clarifying information that was provided in earlier editions.
HEALTH FLEXIBLE SPENDING ACCOUNT 2017 LIMITS
On October 25th, the IRS announced that the annual limit for salary deferrals to a health FSA would be increased to $2,600 for 2017.
- ACA Compliance Bulletin: Health FSA Limit Will Increase for 2017 #144868
IRS NONDISCRIMINATION RULES FOR SELF-INSURED HEALTH PLANS
The article below walks you through the eligibility test and benefits test that must be performed on under Internal Revenue Code section 105(h). It also notes several things to consider when deciding whether a self-funded approach or fully-insured coverage might be preferable to funding your plans.
This piece has been updated since it was introduced in our August newsletter.
- Compliance Overview: Section 105(h) Nondiscrimination Rules #144942
AFFORDABLE CARE ACT REPORTING DUTIES
During the last days of September, the IRS released updates to the forms used for reporting required under the ACA. Minor changes were made to Forms 1094-B, 1095-B, 1094-C, and 1095-C since this article was first published in our August newsletter.
- ACA Compliance Bulletin: Final Forms for ACA Reporting Released #141490
WELLNESS COMPLIANCE DEADLINE, PLUS
January 1, 2017 is the deadline for plans to comply with certain HIPAA rules that are related to the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act. Check the brief notes in Benefits Buzz, but contact Touchstone if you need further clarification on what changes may be required for your programs.
For your employees, this month’s Live Well, Work Well newsletter has several short articles on wellness topics that might serve as inserts for your employee newsletter.
- Benefits Buzz, November 2016: #131152
- Compliance Date Approaching for Employer-sponsored Wellness Programs
- Live Well, Work Well – November 2016: #131077
- Choosing Medications Wisely
- Check your Tap Water for Chromium-6
- Important Updates: 2016 Flu Vaccine
AFFORDABLE CARE ACT – U.S. TERRITORIES
The Department of Health and Human Services has recently issued guidance on how the ACA’s requirements impact group health plans which are based in or cover employees residing in Guam, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and the Northern Mariana Islands.
- ACA Overview: Impact of the ACA in U.S. Territories #144980
HUMAN RESOURCES AND COMPENSATION CONCERNS
We have a variety of information for those with compensation or general HR responsibilities. These range from extensive assistance with the FLSA overtime rules to shorter pieces listing state laws requiring time-off for voting, OSHA retaliation rules, and more. Some of these articles would be appropriate to insert in employee newsletters, while others are technical assistance for HR and compensation managers.
Please note that the 37-page HR Toolkit: Overtime Rule has been updated since it was included in our July newsletter.
- HR Brief: November 2016 #131179
- Workers’ Compensation Leave? Consider FMLA!
- Dec 1st is Near: Understand What’s Changing
- HR Toolkit: Overtime Rule #136988
- Compliance Bulletin: Overtime Changes to Take Effect Dec. 1, 2016 #144539
- HR Insights: Fair Employee Compensation #144320
- Compliance Bulletin: 2016 Summer Updates to Minimum Wage Rates #144271
- Compliance Overview: Election Day 2016 – Employee Leave for Voting #144390
- Compliance Bulletin: OSHA’s Anti-retaliation Rules Delayed until Dec. 1st #142010-update
- News Brief: Samsung Halts Production of Galaxy Note 7 Smartphones #143342
- HR Insights: Building Trust and Confidence in Senior Leadership #144332
- HR Insights: 10 EEOC Tips for Small Businesses #144322